Accessing & Understanding Global Search Functionality
The Search module will let the user enter specific search criteria, select specific search options and then based on the entered text & configured search options fetch search results. User will be able to search for specific Collections, Collection Files, Specific File Content, Collection Tasks, Collection Albums and also Communications.
Follow the given procedure to access Global Search module:
Click Global Search button present at the top menu bar to open the search options pop-up screen. This screen is highlighted below,
Search functionality can be implemented on four different types of search methodology on four different types of documents. These are described in brief below,
- Module-level Content-based Search: The search functionality will go through, extract and fetch contents from the Collection documents, attachments in Communication module & Communication message Content according to the search string entered and search criteria selected.
- Easily Readable File Search: Common files like DOCX, XLSX, TXT, CSV, PPT, HTML files etc. are easily readable by the Solr engine and hence will require less response time to be searched out.
- OCR Search: Failure to read files using normal methods will subject the files to OCR methodology. Contents of the files searched out using the OCR methodology are PDF, Tiff, JPEG, BMP, PNG, CAL etc.
- Compressed File Search: Files which are in compressed format are searched with combination of self retractable on OCR. Files falling under this category are PST, ZIP & MSG files.
Salient Features of the Search pop-up box:
Global Search textbox: User will be able to enter any alphanumeric search string as keyword within this textbox.
Module selection drop-down: User can select all or select specific modules by ticking the checkbox beside each module name. The keyword entered will be searched and results will be retrieved from within the meta-data and content present in the selected module. The Module Selection drop-down where all modules are selected is shown in the screenshot below,
Manipulating Custom Attributes to narrow down search results:
The Custom Attributes are dynamic in nature, user specific and is generated from the back-end of the application. These Custom Attributes are created in the back-end of the application (hard coded) after taking input from the respective user or a group of users. The Custom Attribute selection criteria are used to increase the accuracy of the search as well as condense the search results.
User will have to tick the checkbox beside one or more Custom Attribute (Example – With amount, With Date of Issue, With School etc.), select the respective operator (Equal To, Containing, Greater Than etc) from the drop-down, select the respective radio-button for ‘and’/’or’, select the Custom Field values (Refer Lookup Custom Field help files for more details on how custom fields are created & included within custom attributes) values under it by clicking button to initiate the search using the Custom Attributes.
The operator selection, the selection of the custom field, entering data within the Custom Attribute textbox depends on the type of the Custom Attribute (string, numerical, date or Boolean)
The operator drop-down can consist of the following criteria:
- String type Custom Attribute (Example: With Author (Name)) – Equal To, Containing
- Numerical type Custom Attribute (Example: With Amount) – Equal To, Greater than, Less than
- Date type Custom Attribute (Example: With Date of Issue) – Equal To, Greater than, Less than, Between
- Boolean type Custom Attribute (Example: With Is Collection) – Equal To (including Radio-button – ‘Yes’ / ‘No’)